Document of Understanding Between the Government of the Republic of the Philippines and the National Democratic Front of the Philippines
Whereas, the Panel Chairmen of the Government of the Republic of the Philippines (GRP) and the National Democratic Front of the Philippines (NDFP) conferred on November 30, 2001 in Utrecht, the Netherlands, and met in Oslo, Norway on December 1, 2001 under the auspices of the Royal Government of Norway, graced by His Excellency, Prime Minister Kjell Magne Bondevik, at his office in Oslo;
Whereas, both Parties hereby agree to undertake the following acts in line with their mutual commitment to address the roots of the armed conflict and end the armed hostilities in order to attain a just and lasting peace;
Whereas, the GRP and the NDFP Negotiating Panels and their respective Reciprocal Working Committees (RWCs) shall continue to have Oslo as the stable neutral venue for peace negotiations under the facilitation of the Royal Government of Norway;
Whereas, the GRP and the NDFP reaffirm their commitment to the mutually acceptable principle of national sovereignty in the Hague Joint Declaration and shall implement the agreements already made and pursue the negotiations until a final comprehensive agreement shall have been reached.
I. Implementation of the CAR-HR/IHL
- Both Parties shall form and operationalize the Joint Monitoring Committee (JMC) as provided for under Part V of the CAR-HR/IHL which shall monitor the implementation of said Agreement. The first meeting of the JMC shall be held during the next round of formal talks in Oslo, Norway.
- For this purpose, the Parties shall properly observe the Operational Guidelines for the JMC to be signed during the aforesaid next round of talks in order to ensure the continuation and acceleration of the peace negotiations.
II. Guidelines for Acceleration
- Pursuant to the mutual commitment of both Parties to complete the remaining three substantive agenda for the talks, the RWCs shall endeavor to complete the agreement on social and economic reforms (SER) by February 20, 2002 and the agreement on political and constitutional reforms (PCR) by March 31, 2002.
- The GRP and the NDFP Negotiating Panels shall form and operationalize their respective RWCs on PCR after initialing the articles on Agrarian Reform and National Industrialization in the agreement on social and economic reforms hammered out by the RWCs.
- Upon mutual agreement on the political process by which to carry out fully the agreement on social, economic and political reforms, the GRP and NDFP Negotiating Panels shall form and operationalize their respective RWCs on end of hostilities and disposition of forces.
- Each agreement shall be initialed and signed by the Negotiating Panels and approved by their respective Principals in accordance with the RWC Agreement dated June 26, 1995 and the Supplemental RWC Agreement dated March 18, 1997.
III. Confidence-Building and Goodwill Measures
- Both Parties reiterate their strict adherence to the provisions of the Hague Joint Declaration of September 1992, and the Breukelen Joint Statement of June 1994, and the Joint Statement of March 2001, particularly on the conduct of goodwill and confidence-building measures to create a favorable environment for the peace negotiations as well as their strict adherence to the CAR/HR-IHL of March 1998, particularly on the respect for life.
- In the light of this mutual commitment to undertake confidence-building and goodwill measures for the talks, the NDFP shall cause the safe and orderly release of Sgt. Jeremias Rosete, Jr. and three other companions not later than February 7, 2002.
- The GRP shall obtain the release of all alleged political offenders (APOs) already approved for release on bail, recognizance, pardon and parole. The GRP shall continue its efforts of releasing the remaining APOs.
- The Parties shall announce a mutual cessation of offensive operations for the period December 15 to January 15, 2002 in line with the celebration of Christmas and New Year.
1 December 2001; Oslo, Norway.